Experts around the world agree that chronic Lyme diagnosis and treatment is inappropriate. While there is substantial peer reviewed literature regarding the social phenomenon of chronic Lyme disease, there has been sadly little commentary accessible to the public.
Below are educational articles by doctors and scientists, presented for a lay audience. More commentaries are listed in our papers section.
Dr. Rachel Pearson, MD: The Challenge of ‘Chronic Lyme’
Dr. Edward McSweegan, PhD:
Dr. Peter Lipson, MD:
- Lyme disease—who is credible?
- Fake diseases, false compassion
- How not to think
- Define the disease first
Dr. Harriet Hall, MD: Does Everybody Have Chronic Lyme Disease? Does Anyone?
Dr. Vincent Iannelli, MD: What is a Lyme-Literate doctor?
Dr. Karen Ravin, MD: Debunking myths surrounding Lyme disease
Dr. Lori Handy, MD: Lyme Disease: Facts & Fiction
Dr. David Scales, MD:
- Lyme Disease, Climate Change, and Science (or the Lack of It)
- In France’s Battles Over Lyme Disease, Lessons in Science Communication
- 7 Things I Learned While Reporting On Lyme And Other Tick-Borne Diseases
- What I’ve learned reporting about Lyme Disease, a contested illness
Dr. Stephen Salzberg, PhD: Long-Term Antibiotic Use For Lyme Disease Doesn’t Work, Study Finds
Dr. J. Marc Girard, MD: An example of pseudoscience: Chronic Lyme disease
Dr. Steven Novella, MD:
- The NEJM Takes On Lyme Quackery
- The Chronic Lyme Conundrum
- Chronic Lyme Disease – Another Negative Study
- Jarisch-Herxheimer and Lyme disease
- Connecticut Legislature Intrudes on Debate Over Chronic Lyme Disease
Dr. Mark Crislip, MD:
Dr. Phil Baker, PhD:
- Julia Bruzzese and the need for media responsibility
- When do symptoms mean Lyme disease?
- Does Chronic Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever Exist?
- Many other commentaries as executive director of the American Lyme Disease Foundation
Dr. David Gorski, MD:
- Deaths and complications due to treating the fake disease known as “chronic Lyme disease”
- Kris Kristofferson: The latest celebrity quackery victim
- The Chicago Tribune, “chronic Lyme disease,” and demands for false balance
- Still more evidence that Morgellons disease is most likely delusional parasitosis
- Your Friday Dose of Woo: Applied kinesiology, but only more woo-ful [Discussion of Dietrich Klinghardt]
Dr. John Snyder, MD: Lemons and Lyme: Bogus tests and dangerous treatments of the Lyme-literati
Dr. Brad McKay, MBBS: Does Lyme disease exist in Australia?
Dr. Daniel Summers, MD:
- Predator Doctors Take Advantage of Patients With ‘Chronic Lyme’ Scam
- Real Housewife, Fake Disease
- Once more unto the breach: chronic Lyme disease
Dr. Mark Drapkin, MD: Lawmakers overreach in casting themselves as infectious disease specialists
Dr. Usha Nellore, MD: Lyme disease: Not the epidemic that MPT film claims
Dr. Robert Strang, MD: Nova Scotia’s health system has a handle on Lyme
Dr. Lyle R. Petersen, MD: Long-term antibiotics not warranted for Lyme treatment
Dr. Mark Hoofnagle, MD:
Dr. Jeremy Devine, MD: Bill C-442 and “Chronic Lyme Disease”: the parallels with “chronic brucellosis”
- Chronic Lyme disease – is there any scientific evidence supporting it?
- Lyme disease vaccine on the way – if only the anti-vaxxers stay away
- Chronic Lyme disease treatments – unproven and dangerous
Dr. Paul Auwaerter, MD: Videos on Lyme disease (see third video)
Dr. Karmela K. Chan, MD: Commentary: a disturbing conversation
Dr. David Robert Grimes, PhD: Fundraising appeals for the desperately ill are moving, but evidence is crucial
Erin Foeri, 2021 PharmD candidate: Caution advised in use of alternative medicines for chronic Lyme disease
Dr. Henrik Vogt (in Norwegian):
- Kampen om årsaken (The Battle for the Cause)
- Hva betyr “kronisk borreliose”? (What does “chronic borreliosis” mean?)
Dr. Mats Reimer (Swedish): Kronisk borrelia smittas via media (Chronic Lyme disease infects via the media)
Dr. Marc Gozlan (French): « Maladie de Lyme chronique » : le danger des traitements prolongés par antibiotiques (“Chronic Lyme Disease”: The Danger of Prolonged Antibiotic Therapy)
Dr. Yves Hansmann (French): VIDEO. «La maladie de Lyme peut être handicapante si elle est traitée tardivement», explique le professeur Hansmann (“Lyme disease can be disabling if treated late,” says Professor Hansmann)
Dr. Luc Bonneux (Dutch): Lyme: Chronic lyme takes place in the magical world of quackery
Dr. Jan Keppel Hesselink, MD, PhD and Dr. Lex Bouter, PhD (Dutch): ‘Science is also only an opinion’
Dr. André Weel (Dutch): Een nieuw begin, ook voor lyme? (A new beginning, also for Lyme?)
Dr. Emile Keuter (Dutch):
- Lyme is de engste SOLK (Lyme is the scariest MUPS- Medically Unexplained Physical Symptoms)
- Lyme.eerder, Zorg.nu
Dr. David Patrick, MD TV interview: Explaining the mysteries of Lyme disease
More chronic Lyme posts can be found at Science-Based Medicine
List of resources from Norway