Experts agree that chronic Lyme diagnosis and treatment is inappropriate. While there is substantial peer reviewed literature regarding the social phenomenon of chronic Lyme disease, there has been sadly little commentary accessible to the public.
Below are educational articles by doctors and scientists, presented for a lay audience.
Dr. Rachel Pearson, MD: The Challenge of ‘Chronic Lyme’
Dr. Edward McSweegan, PhD:
Dr. Peter Lipson, MD:
- Lyme disease—who is credible?
- Fake diseases, false compassion
- How not to think
- Define the disease first
Dr. Harriet Hall, MD: Does Everybody Have Chronic Lyme Disease? Does Anyone?
Dr. Vincent Iannelli, MD: What is a Lyme-Literate doctor?
Dr. Karen Ravin, MD: Debunking myths surrounding Lyme disease
Dr. David Scales, MD:
- Lyme Disease, Climate Change, and Science (or the Lack of It)
- In France’s Battles Over Lyme Disease, Lessons in Science Communication
- 7 Things I Learned While Reporting On Lyme And Other Tick-Borne Diseases
Dr. Stephen Salzberg, PhD: Long-Term Antibiotic Use For Lyme Disease Doesn’t Work, Study Finds
Dr. Steven Novella, MD:
- The NEJM Takes On Lyme Quackery
- The Chronic Lyme Conundrum
- Chronic Lyme Disease – Another Negative Study
- Jarisch-Herxheimer and Lyme disease
- Connecticut Legislature Intrudes on Debate Over Chronic Lyme Disease
Dr. Mark Crislip, MD:
Dr. Phil Baker, PhD: Many commentaries as executive director of the American Lyme Disease Foundation
Dr. David Gorski, MD:
- Deaths and complications due to treating the fake disease known as “chronic Lyme disease”
- Kris Kristofferson: The latest celebrity quackery victim
- The Chicago Tribune, “chronic Lyme disease,” and demands for false balance
- Still more evidence that Morgellons disease is most likely delusional parasitosis
- Your Friday Dose of Woo: Applied kinesiology, but only more woo-ful [Discussion of Dietrich Klinghardt]
Dr. John Snyder, MD: Lemons and Lyme: Bogus tests and dangerous treatments of the Lyme-literati
Dr. Brad McKay, MBBS: Does Lyme disease exist in Australia?
Dr. Daniel Summers, MD:
Dr. Mark Drapkin, MD: Lawmakers overreach in casting themselves as infectious disease specialists
Dr. Usha Nellore, MD: Lyme disease: Not the epidemic that MPT film claims
Dr. Robert Strang, MD: Nova Scotia’s health system has a handle on Lyme
Dr. Mark Hoofnagle, MD:
Jeremy Devine (medical student): Bill C-442 and “Chronic Lyme Disease”: the parallels with “chronic brucellosis”
- Chronic Lyme disease – is there any scientific evidence supporting it?
- Lyme disease vaccine on the way – if only the anti-vaxxers stay away
Dr. Paul Auwaerter, MD: Videos on Lyme disease (see third video)
Dr. David Robert Grimes, PhD: Fundraising appeals for the desperately ill are moving, but evidence is crucial
Dr. David Patrick, MD TV interview: Explaining the mysteries of Lyme disease
More chronic Lyme posts can be found at Science-Based Medicine
Other relevant LymeScience posts
- Good journalism on chronic Lyme pseudoscience
- Papers on chronic Lyme disease
- Dispelling the Chronic Lyme Disease Myth