- New York Magazine/The Cut: What Happens When Lyme Disease Becomes an Identity?
- Boston Globe: Is ‘chronic Lyme disease’ real?
- 60 Minutes: A Prescription For Death? Did Alternative Treatment Lead To Patient’s Death?
- New York Times: Stalking Dr. Steere Over Lyme Disease (mirror)
- New York Times: My Son Got Lyme Disease. He’s Totally Fine
- New York Times Ethicist: What to Do About a Physician Who May Be a Quack
- Bloomberg Businessweek: Dubious Alternative Lyme Treatments Are Killing Patients
- Chicago Tribune: Chronic Lyme disease: A dubious diagnosis
- Metro: Woman underwent years of treatment for Lyme disease and needed a wheelchair – but her life was a lie
- Slate: Lyme-Illiterate: New York is about to change its medical misconduct law to protect quacks.
- Slate: Why Is Romney Campaigning on Medical Quackery?
- Slate: The New York Times Teaches the Controversy: Both sides are not equal when it comes to chronic Lyme disease.
- Slate: Still in the Lyme Light: Politicians and Hollywood enter the debate over “chronic Lyme disease.’
- Room for Debate at the New York Times: Antibiotics Are Not the Cure for ‘Chronic’ Lyme Symptoms
- Washington Post: Dangerous unproven treatments for ‘chronic Lyme disease’ are on the rise
- Washington Post: A GOP lawmaker thinks rise in Lyme disease is due to a secret tick experiment. A scientist squashes that idea.
- British Medical Journal: Sixty seconds on . . . Lyme disease
- Forbes: Lyme Inc.
- Forbes: Alternative Lyme Disease Doctors Are Still Wrong
- Health.com: “Chronic Lyme Disease” Isn’t a Real Diagnosis. So Why Are Doctors Prescribing Risky Treatment for It?
- Health.com: Is Lyme Disease Curable?
- Jezebel: How Celebrities Are Changing the Way We See Chronic Lyme
- Philadelphia Inquirer: Pa. woman says she was sickened by risky Lyme treatment
- Houston Press: Here’s Why Authorities Want to Stop the Sale of Jim Humble’s Miracle Cure
- The Daily Beast: Predator Doctors Take Advantage of Patients With ‘Chronic Lyme’ Scam
- The Daily Beast: Real Housewife, Fake Disease
- VICE News/MedPage Today: If You Think You Have Chronic Lyme Disease, Most Doctors Say You’re Wrong
- VICE: The Doctor Can Heal You Now (Exposé of Marvin Rick Sponaugle)
- Buzzfeed: Lawmakers Want The Pentagon To Investigate A Bizarre Conspiracy Theory That The Government Weaponized Ticks And Spread Lyme Disease
- Undark: In France’s Battles Over Lyme Disease, Lessons in Science Communication
- Skepchick: Lil Nas X Got Fooled by the “Chronic Lyme Disease” Scam
- Ars Technica: Report reveals years of suffering, death from therapies for “chronic Lyme”
- Steven Salzberg, PhD in Forbes: Long-Term Antibiotic Use For Lyme Disease Doesn’t Work, Study Finds
- Microbe: Lyme Disease—the Public Dimension
- Dr. Brad McKay: Why thousands of Aussies claim to have Lyme disease
- ScienceNews: Five reasons to not totally panic about ticks and Lyme disease
- Reading Eagle: ‘Chronic Lyme disease’ a troubling diagnosis
- Healio: Confronting the misnomer of ‘chronic’ Lyme disease
- Healio: Few Connecticut primary care physicians diagnose, treat chronic Lyme disease
- The State: ‘We were suckered in,’ widow says of doctor
- The Chronicle Herald: Experts warn of Internet ‘cures’ for Lyme disease
- Cassandra Willyard: The Pseudoscience of Chronic Lyme
- The Outline: Dear Fuck-Up: I don’t think my friend’s chronic illness is real. Is this the end of our friendship?
- Montreal Gazette: The chronic Lyme disease debate is not for the faint-hearted
- Folio: 3 surprising facts about Lyme disease
- Berkeley Wellness: Chronic Lyme Disease: What to know
- Harvard Health Letter: Lyme disease: spurious cures
- CTV/The Canadian Press: From urine therapy to vitamins: study warns of untested Lyme disease ‘cures’
- CMAJ: Combatting Lyme disease myths and the “chronic Lyme industry”
- New Haven Register: Confusion, myths live on about Lyme disease
- New England Health Advisory: Chronic Lyme Disease: Belief Over Science
- MedPage Today: Docs Organize to Promote Unproven Therapies They Believe In
- Katie Paulson: Woman’s Death Connected to Internet Self-Diagnosis
- AthenaInsight: The pediatrician’s new struggle over Lyme disease
- Erin Stewart: Anti-vax, anti-science and the pitfalls of sharing a ‘rare’ condition with a celebrity
- WebMD: Lyme Disease and Violence: No Link
- CBC Radio: Ombudman’s response to a conspiracy theorist
- CBC: Doctor who offers unapproved fecal transplants in B.C. says he’s a ‘maverick’
- Univadis: RCP 2018 – ‘Parallel Universe’ has developed around Lyme disease
- Beth Daley and colleagues writing for the New England Center for Investigative Reporting and Boston Globe, resulting in Daley winning a journalism award
- USA Today/Burlington Free Press: A single drop of blood: No research or FDA approval behind doctor’s testing methods
- Science et pseudo-sciences: Les « Lyme doctors » : un risque pour les patients
- Science et pseudo-sciences: La maladie de Lyme : entre psychose et fausses informations
- La Presse: Docteur K (Amir Khadir)
- La Presse: Maladie de Lyme: gare à l’alchimie législative (Lyme disease: beware of legislative alchemy, featuring Maureen McShane)
- Scientifique en chef du Québec/Agence Science-Presse: Séparer le fait de l’opinion: le cas de la maladie chronique de Lyme
- Le Journal du Dimanche: La maladie de Lyme en sept questions
- Le Journal du Dimanche: Maladie de Lyme, le complotisme appliqué aux acariens
- Radio Canada: Un autre cas de pseudo-science (Another case of pseudo-science)
- TV2: “Fraud or Lyme Disease”
- Videnskab.dk: Danskere snydes af dårlige borrelia-test i udlandet (Danes are cheated by poor borrelia tests abroad)
- Zembla: Undercover in de Duitse Lyme-kliniek (Undercover in the German Lyme Clinic)
- Dutch News: This season I will suffer from…electrosensitivity
- Articles and Video at De Monitor
- Lyme: een doolhof online (Lyme: a maze online)
- Held van Lyme-patiënten Geert Kingma prijst onbetrouwbare test aan (Hero of Lyme patients Geert Kingma praises unreliable test)
- De Lyme-lobby: uiterst invloedrijk, nooit tevreden (The Lyme lobby: extremely influential, never satisfied)
- Duits lab belooft 100 procent betrouwbare test op ziekte van Lyme (German lab promises 100 percent reliable test for Lyme disease)
- Lyme disease (25 minute video)
Radio and Podcasts
- WXXI News (NPR affiliate): Connections: Discussing the spread of – and controversy surrounding – Lyme disease
- Science Vs: Lyme Disease: How Scary Is It? (transcript with citations)
- This Podcast Will Kill You: Lyme Disease: I’d like to check you for ticks
- Dr. Nikki Stamp and Pixie Turner: (Un)Well 05: Bee Stings: The Bees Knees?
- Unbiased Science: In the Lyme Light: Beyond The Tick Bite (Part 1 | Part 2)
- Do You Believe in Magic?: The Sense and Nonsense of Alternative Medicine: Chapter on Chronic Lyme by Dr. Paul Offit (Wikipedia, WorldCat, Google Books, Amazon)
- Every Patient Tells a Story: Medical Mysteries and the Art of Diagnosis: Chapter on Chronic Lyme by Dr. Lisa Sanders (Wikipedia, WorldCat, Google Books, Amazon)
- Snowball in a Blizzard: A Physician’s Notes on Uncertainty in Medicine by Dr. Steven Hatch (WorldCat, Google Books, Amazon)
- Lyme Disease: An Evidence-Based Approach, 1st edition, edited by Dr. John Jay Halperin (WorldCat, Google Books, Amazon)
- Free download: Chapter 17: Lyme disease: The Great Controversy
- Free download: Chapter 4: Laboratory Diagnostic Testing for Borrelia burgdorferi Infection
- Lyme Disease: An Evidence-Based Approach, 2nd edition, edited by Dr. John Jay Halperin (WorldCat, Google Books, Amazon)
Global News interview of Dr. David Patrick: Explaining the mysteries of Lyme disease
More discussion of Dr. Patrick’s work: How chronic Lyme disease recruits followers
Discussion of media coverage of Lyme disease
Petridou, et al. A retrospective observational study of Lyme neuroborreliosis in the southwest of England. 2020.
Cheema J, Prat SS. Multiple Sclerosis and Psychosis: A case report. 2019.
Phil Baker, PhD: Julia Bruzzese and the need for media responsibility
Pascal C, et al. Emergence of Lyme disease as a social problem: analysis of discourse using the media content. Eur J Public Health. 2019.
Brown JD. A Description of ‘Australian Lyme Disease’ Epidemiology and Impact: An Analysis of Submissions to an Australian Senate Inquiry. Intern Med J. 2018;48(4):422-426.
Yiannakoulias N, et al. Celebrity over science? An analysis of Lyme disease video content on YouTube. Soc Sci Med. 2017.
Other LymeScience pages
- Doctor and scientist commentaries on “Chronic Lyme”
- Papers on chronic Lyme disease
- Scientific Consensus
- References showing massive false positive Lyme diagnoses
Updated April 21, 2021